Rags to riches theatre for young audiences has been bringing its unique adaptations of familiar folk and fairy tales to young audiences in elementary schools, theaters, libraries and preschools throughout North Carolina and the eastern United States for the past twenty-three years. These productions of participation plays, written by Lou Peters, delight young audiences through use of comedy and engage them by asking that they provide the environment within which the actors perform. The whole audience is taught the call and response and they will be asked to participate with such sounds as howling wolves, clocks ticking, roosters crowing, wind rushing, etc. REQUEST RAGS TO RICHES
GRADES: Pre-K K 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Rags to Riches Performances
All of our performances are designed to be interactive and are filled with different participation elements that students are taught before the play in our warmup. All of our performances are designed to support the Language Arts Standards of speaking and listening, language, writing and helps to fulfill the standard 10 exposure to a range of text type. All of our plays last about 40 minutes long, and we do provide study guides for the teachers.
Fall 2017 Season Titles:
– Jack Tales, straight out of our NC folklore and heritage.
– Old Aesop’s Tales, where a traveler learns about the City Mouse and the Country Mouse
– The Lion and the Mouse, and the Tortoise and the Hare.
– Puss in Boots based on the traditional tale.
- All of these are available September 1st through December 20th. All of these last about 40 minutes and are audience participatory. Study guides are available to the teachers.
Spring 2018 Titles:
– Another Strand in the Web, a collection of Ananse stories including, The Stone with a Bear, Why Spiders live on the Ceiling, and Ananse goes fishing.
– Little Red Riding Hood, which is a play within a play. The actors are getting together to put on this play and come up with their own ending that doesn’t involve anyone being eaten!
– The Flying Ship is based on the Russian Folk tale.
Duration: 40 – 45 minutes
Single Performance Fee- $625.00
Two Performances Fee- $1,125.00
*We strive to offer our audiences a very intimate and interactive experience that takes the actors into and throughout our audiences. Our Audience max is 200. We find that some spaces are not acoustically suitable for this experience so you might want consider having a smaller size audience in your media center instead of your gym or auditorium. We cannot wear mics because of the interactive piece of our program that is our top priority. For schools that need a K-2 or 3-5 performance that will take them past the recommended audience max of 200, a special rate for two shows back to back will be offered to accommodate the funding limits and stipulations.